Sunday 13 November 2011

To tell or not tell -The importance of the secret.

I 've been caught out on this a couple of times. Telling the wrong people my ideas. This was okay up to the point until I put my money where my mouth is, but since then people have pricked their ears and copied what they can.

While a lot of the added value in Swift Momentum Sports comes from my direct involvement in the project, any original idea I've had is rapidly copied. But you have to tell people what you're doing right? No, you don't. A car sales man knows nothing of the efficiencies garnered by the use of a micro turbo on a small engine... They just say "TURBO!"

It's frightening, but to use a sporting analogy "They don't win, or let others win". People are happy just to watch you fail. I have found this is the case with anyone: Who has never been self employed. People with a lack of creativity.

When divulging your idea, you are taking a gamble (unless you have intelectual property, but even so...)

  • The person must not be local to you.
  • The person must not be involved in the same industry.
  • The person must not have any involvement with anyone of importance in the same industry. 
Look for people who have achieved success in other areas and they can help you. And there are very good people among business angels, who may not invest, but will entertain your idea and give you valuable advice.

Anyway, there is a portuguese saying "O segredo é a alma do negocio!" which means "The secret is the soul/spirit of the deal/business!" I.e. there is no valuable idea, that doesn't carry a secret to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment